Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Week 13: Feliz Navidad

Mi Familia y Amigos, Feliz Navidad!

This past week has been pretty crazy! It all started on Tuesday with transfers, Elder Pauro isn't my companion anymore, I have a new "papa", Elder Guerra. I definitely miss Elder Pauro and his chill, funny, and spiritual personality. Anyways, Elder Guerra is pretty much the opposite of Elder Pauro. He's Boliviano and is 21. He started out his mission in Venezuela for 7 months, right now he only has 2 more changes before he ends his mission. Most missionaries, especially Latino missionaries, start getting comfortable their last 2 changes, lazy in other words. But E. Guerra isn't at all haha. He was a Zone Leader in Independencia before the change and he's no slacker. It was kinda tough at first, and still kinda is, because in a lot of ways I'm the one training him because he doesn't know the ward or the area, my area is way, way different than Independencia. Independica is a city and not nearly as much poverty. He took Pauros position as zone leader and his teaching style is a lot different than Pauros which has been kinda tough to get used to. But, were getting along alright! He does know more English than Pauro so that's been kinda nice. 

Alrighty, so something I learned this week... This past week I have been really impressed with the character of Mary, the mother of the Savior of the World. In Lucas 2:19 it says that, after the birth of her Son and our older brother, she pondered what had just taken place. No doubt, the birth of Christ is the single most important event of the history of the world and I'm sure it was an incredibly spiritual experience, and Mary pondered in her heart that sacred moment that would become the center of this Christmas season. Like Mary, it would be wise if we pondered in our hearts the birth of Christ and all he did for us and still does for us. I love Christ and my mission has helped me gain a better understanding of who he really is for me. I'm amazed at the sufferings he went through for me in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross. I love Lucas 22:41 to 44, please read it, it's a great passage of scripture. Its my testimonio this Christmas that Christ lives, and that only through Him will we find true peace, true love, and true knowledge of who we really are. I hope that this week and this Christmas we will take time to think more deeply about the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ, and what He has given me and you. 

This week Elder Guerra and I found 2 less active members in our area named Maria and Liz. They have a lot of challenges financially and in health and live in a lot of poverty. Since we met them this week I've really tried to make an effort to become their friends and we have had some great spiritual experiences with them. Our last lesson, we taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ and focused on Faith. Maria can't read and Liz can't really read either, but we gave them a Book of Mormon to them and it meant a lot to them. We read in Ether 12:6 and 7 about in who we need to have faith, in Christ. After we read these scriptures the Spirit was so strong and there was no doubt in the room that Christ had touched the heart Maria. I have a lot of hope that through our friendship Maria and Liz will start attending church again. 

We've also been teaching a young couple, well, not really a couple because they're not married, named Antonio y Flor. Antonio is 19 and Flor is only 17..a little to young to be married anyways if you ask me. They don't really get a long to well either, its a tough situation. We first met Flor because she has a little hamburger stand at night. They have had a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon and their purpose in this life which has been really good, that's definitely going to be our "door" to helping them realize that they'll be a lot happier if they accept this gospel completely. 

I also had to go to immigrations 2 times this week which was really nice actually. Everyone in my group from the CCM had to go both times so it was like a little 2 day reunion for district 12A, it was nice. It was especially nice talking to E. Dority. Hes in San Juan Luri Gancho which is the poorest and craziest part of the area. It was awesome to talk to him about our experiences and to see how much we've both grown on the mission. A lot of the mountains he's had to climb (physically, mentally, and spiritually) makes a lot of mine look like anthills. I hope that someday I get to serve in the same area as E. Dority or one of the other elders in my district from the CCM. 

Anyways, the week has been great and I'm really excited for this week. This Wednesday were going to celebrate Christmas as a mission at the mission offices. I'm pretty pumped, the whole mission is going to be there and there's going to be REAL hot dogs and hamburgers (I found out this week the most of the hamburgers on the street are actually horse meet, so I've decided to take a break from those...) and there's going to be a dodge ball tournament and all that good stuff. And we get to wear p-day clothes all day! It's gonna be great!

Well, that's about all and I'm excited to talk to you on Christmas!

Elder Potter
 
Elder Potter and Elder Pauro
 

No comments:

Post a Comment