Monday, November 17, 2014

Week 8: Chicken Feet Soup? Por que no?!

Familia y Amigos, 

Yeah, this week was also crazy but really good! Elder Pauro and I have 5 baptisms lined up for the 29 of this month which I'm really excited about. They are...

1. Melany. She is 14 and is good friends with Hermana Giovana, their neighbors. She is easily progressing the most and has attended church twice now, always a good sign. Shes turned into a golden investigator, I think her family would be too, she has a big family and theyre all very nice people. 
 
2. Manuel Santo. He is 12 years old and is in a part member family. His mom and dad are going through a rough time right now and so me and Elder Pauro are really trying to strenthen and save that family. I shared the "7 Vital Signs" in our last lesson with them which I thought I would never use. Turned out to be a great lesson and the Spirit was there. His mom isn't a member, an investigator and his Dad is, but very inactive and really needs help changing a few things with his family life, but I see a lot of hope in that family. 
 
3,4,5. Teodora, Iana, and Derek. Family of 3. Honestly, I'm kinda worried about this family getting baptized because I don't know if Teodara, the mom, is totally in it. We haven't been able to get her to follow through with a visit since I've been here. But her 12 year old daughter Iana came to church yesterday, she's progressing little by little, shes very shy. 

Anyways, the work here is great. Yesterday we found a new family to teach and they're really interested in the gospel and want to know the truth. The dad, Osmar, is 25 and is a member. His wife, don't know how to spell her name, is 27 and isn't a member. They have a baby. Right before we started the lesson, the wife's 19 year old brother came in along with their mom (Heiner and Idaura). This family is looking pretty good right now and I think they're really going to progress. 

Ok, now with the crazier stuff. So a few days ago for lunch we went to our pensionistas house for lunch (normally it's just breakfast) and she gave us this soup that looked really good, and it was, but I couldn't help but notice that it seemed as though there was a foot in there still attached to the leg...hmmm... I thought to myself, is this a joke, for decoration, or am I supposed to eat that? Well, I think it was for all of the above haha. I ended up eating all of the soup then giving the foot to Obispo (Bishop) Balboa, they love chicken feet. Oh, another thing. I went on a split with Elder Segura and for lunch it was the usual, chicken, rice, potatoes, meat. But the meet kinda looked like it had an eyeball in it. Don't get me wrong, the meet was super super good, but it was interesting haha. The food here is really good and there is more than one way to eat rice I've found than just Hawaiian haystacks haha. 

que mas... I'm charging my camera right now so I'll be able to send some pictures next week of all this stuff. 

Well, Nick, I hope you don't catch ebola from Porky, that would be bad. Also, I haven't ran once since I've been here, plus there's just not any time. Besides, I would get chased by all the dogs haha, no kidding. The dogs here are really gross haha, I've got some good stories. The love to fight and so most of the dogs only have 3 legs that are capable of functioning, kinda sad but it makes you feel safe when you see a dog with only 3 legs because it means they can't run as fast as you haha. (We really dont get chased, but it's a funny thought). 

Kate, I hope you had a great bday, sounds like you did! I hope everything is going good with you still and are still being you! 

Sophia, I hope you have a great birthday today and all of youre wildest dreams come true (you did vote for pedro, right). Anyways, have a good one!

Hope, I loved seeing your pictures of you on halloween, did you get to scare Aubrey, I forgot to ask you! Love ya sis. 

Mom y Dad. I love getting your letters and learning how simple the gospel really is through them. So, some more about my area because that stuff is important. The name of my area is Caraballyo and my Branch is Habana 2. The branch is awesome and the active members are just the best, that's the only way to describe them. So many people here really don't have much but none of that matters in the gospel because God is no respector of persons, he doesn't care if you have a tv, if you have carpet, a solid roof. None of that matters, what matters is that you're happy and living the gospel and that's how the members are, they're happy despite their many challenges, and they don't have a lot, and they are the  living the gospel to the best of their abilities. Obispo Balboa actually got released last week so we have a new Obispo now, hes really young. Obispo Balboa is the best, he has 4 kids and is just a spiritualy, hard working man that knows whats important in this life and has much faith, as does his family, he's probably 45 or so. There's probably about 70 people that come on average which is tough because the chapel is really small. That's another thing, the sacrament meetings aren't to organized, por ejemple...last week the chorister decided she wanted the 6 elders and anyone else to sing llamado a servir, it was quite the fun haha. Then yesterday, the bishop decided the new elders in the area should talk about themselves, so that was interesting too. Its alot of fun haha. 
 
So my companion is from Arequipa Peru and it's kinda a weird place because they declared their independence but haven't done anything about it besides make their own flag...so yeah, not really independent but they say their a "different" country. It has been good, he has really helped me learn the language a lot faster. 
 
So we do have a pensionista, but only for breakfast, the members feed us lunch. Hermana Lestina is our pensionista. She talks really really fast and can't really understand her, but she's really nice so it's all good. Her whole family is less active so were also helping them out. 
 
On p-days we email at 10:30 with our zone then go out to eat and play games or just chill, p-days are the best, let me tell ya haha. 

Well, that's about it! Hasta lluego!

Elder Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment